Last week I was a little inspired to try and test a dahl receipe that I have not cooked for ages. I was inspired by Picklebum’s vegetarian bolognese, and thought, why not try. So this one is for you Kate, as requested..
1 carrot, grated
2 tsp Cumin Seeds
2 tsp mustard seeds
3 cloves garlic, finely diced
2.5cm piece fresh ginger, peeled and chopped finely
1 large onion, peeled and diced
20g vegetable oil
1 tsp garam masala
2 tsp ground tumeric
1 tsp mild chilli powder
250 coconut milk or cream
230g dried red lentil
1 can diced tomatoes
juice of 2 lines
salt and pepper
fresh coriander to taste
– Grate carrot and set aside
– With a mortar and pestle mill the cumin and mustard seeds
– Add the onion, ginger and garlic to a pot and sauté until soft with the vegetable oil
– Add the grated carrot and sauté for a further 2 minutes
– Add the gram masala, turmeric and chilli powder and sauté for another 2 minutes
– Add the water, coconut milk, lentils and tomatoes and cook for about 20 minutes on a very LOW heat. You want to stir and check on the pot regularly to make sure there is enough liquid.
– Add the lime juice, salt and pepper and a little coriander and cook for a further 5 minutes
Serve with rice or as an accompaniment with your other meals. It was a staple for us for the week, served on the side with fresh fish on one night and koftas on the other. It was yummy.
I have to also add that this recipe is actually intentionally designed for the thermomix so I have adapted it for pot cooking.
This one was an absolute winner and a definite goer for another time.
What is on your menu for this week?
And don’t forget to enter the fabulous giveaway where you can win a sweet sweet children’s story.